Sunday, January 30, 2011

I Blame Tom Hanks

All this ridiculous talk about D&D being a gang activity for gangs has me remembering the days when D&D was Satan's game. Back in middle school I had to constantly explain that D&D wasn't a tool of Satan and wasn't going to cause me to commit suicide. D&D being a gang activity is just as ridiculous. If I'd known I would have recruited a couple of Crips when I used to live in a really lousy neighborhood.

A group of gangsters playing "old school", notice the red shirts identifying them as "Bloods"

Personally, I blame Tom Hanks. If you did not know, back during the search of James Dallas Egbert III, the 16 old kid who was involved with drugs, older homosexual men, and D&D who went missing for a month. D&D, and not the drugs or older homosexual* men who were exploiting him, was blamed. Writer Ron Jaffe wrote a book called Mazes & Monsters about a college student who plays a game like Dungeons and Dragons and goes insane doing so. This was turned into television movie starring a young Tom Hanks in 1982, before Bosom Buddies and Splash. 

*Please do not take these statements as being anti-homosexual, I assure you the opposite is the case. I am disgusted with anyone who exploits minors sexually, heterosexual or homosexual. 


The movie provided the example concerned loved ones needed to cause them to force their kids to stop playing D&D and sometimes even burn their books. Players tell stories of being called into the principal's office, or even having assemblies in school warning of D&D and the influence of the occult.

It's all very funny now to see these clips of Tom Hanks with D&D. I hope you enjoy them. Of course, I really want to see a Youtube video of Tom Hanks saying how ridiculous this was and apologizing for all those kids who had to burn books and things; that would be something to see.









The DVD!













MAZES AND MONSTERS. The original book in hardcover.

4 comments:

  1. I am reading your article and I am totally agree with your thought, really mostly people interested in many of thing which as posted in the above blog of your site. I have bookmarked your site and thanks for sharing such nice type of blog post. Star Trek Chris Pine Blue Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this piece of information. I really enjoyed it. keep up the good work and all the very best of luck! Men B3 Bomber Shearling Leather Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Academic writing is a most popular with advance thinking. Our academic writing service comes in many forms; the following are some of the most common.

    Assignment Writing UK

    ReplyDelete
  4. With thousands of copies sold, The Makings of Me book is the perfect gift for weddings, family reunions, birthdays, baby showers and more.




    Family book

    ReplyDelete